Friday 3 May 2013

Happy Publication Day to 'The Eternity Cure'

The day has finally arrived - it is the publication day of 'The Eternity Cure'!
This is Julie Kagawa's second in the Blood of Eden series, out today, following on from 'The Immortal Rules' and continues the story of new vampire Allie in her journey to save the human and vampire race from the deadly, infectious virus which is turning everyone rabid and wiping them out.



This is most definitely NOT just another vampire story. Following on from our discussion last week about sci-f, this series creates an amazing distopian world, on the brink of collapse, mixed with the paranormal. I loved 'The Immortal Rules' (after initial slight resistence to another vampire book, boy was I wrong!) but I think 'The Eternity Cure' was even better! Is that even possible you may ask? Give it a read and see what you think yourself.

I think it pulls together Allie's relationship with those around her - Kanin, Jackal and Zeke but also she really finds her place in the vampire world and it couldn't be more action-packed, heart-wrenching and gripping if it tried! Don't believe me? Try it out and let me know what you thought.

As it is such a special day (essentially a birthday for Julie Kagawa and 'The Eternity Cure') Julie has kindly shared with us her top 5 quotes from the book:



1. Allison:  "I was a monster who killed and preyed on human life; I could never escape that, but at least I could choose what kind of lives I took."
Julie: I chose this quote because it is intrinsic to the series and shows Allie's eternal struggle with the monster within.
2. Zeke: "Only death will take me away from you, vampire girl.  And even then, I'll watch over you from wherever I end up."
Julie: This quote shows something essential that I love about Zeke—he never loses hope, and his unshakable faith in Allison is what drives her to be better, to not lose herself to the monster.
3. Jackal: "Now we're going to save a bunch of dirty meatsacks from a bunch of dirty cannibals? Why don't we rescue some orphaned kittens and put food out for stray puppies while we're at it?"
Julie: I do love creating complex characters! This quote shows that Jackal has embraced his inner demon, but you can't help but wonder if there is still some good in him, buried deep.
4. Kanin: "Maybe it has been long enough.  Maybe...I've atoned for my sins by now.  Surely by now I can be forgiven."
Julie: Kanin is a hard character to know, but this quote shows insight into his weary soul. Kanin's regret is a constant weight bearing him down, making him hopeful and resigned all at once.
5. Sarren: "Perhaps I will pluck out both your eyes, then remove all your teeth, and make a necklace from them.  Or perhaps a wind chime.  I do love wind chimes, don't you, little bird?"
Julie: Some characters take over and scare me. It’s always…interesting channeling Sarren and his particular brand of craziness.

Are any of these your favourite, too? Or do you have any more to add to the list?
Or maybe some of your favourite points from 'The Immortal Rules'?
Share the Blood of Eden love in the comments below!

Intrigued to read on? You can buy The Eternity Cure here, you won't regret it!


Happy reading!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment